Re: Household pharmaceutical wastes

Tough questions, Marlyn, and I don't pretend to know what the best answer is for
your specific locale.  As you know, it would be perfectly legal for a citizen to
dispose of excess/unused drugs either in their household garbage or down the
toilet.  I agree with Kelly Moran that our old recommendation of "flush it" was
not the least risky.  I usually give the same advice as she does for a first
option -- household hazardous waste collection events.  But I'm dubious how many
people will go to the trouble of doing this for a few pills.  As a second option
-- depending on the location of the caller-- I usually recommend disposal with
garbage.  At least in our relatively arid environment, I think the chances of
release of pharmaceutical ingredients from a well-managed landfill is
infinitesimal.  If we had landfills that were closer to ground water, or more
rainfall, though, I may have second thoughts about this recommendation too.

In your case, I know much of Honolulu's solid waste goes to fuel power
generation.  I have a suspicion that what we know about the combustion  and
incineration of pharmaceuticals is negligible, so I'm at a loss as to how to
compare its risk with the other alternatives.  I hope that others will chime in
with their views and knowledge.

Bill Wilson, EPA Region 9 Pollution Prevention Coordinator
75 Hawthorne Street, San Francisco CA 94105
phone 415.744.2192 fax 415.744.1680 email wilson.bill@epa.gov

maguilar@eha.health.state.hi.us on 07/08/99 07:13:15 AM

Please respond to maguilar@eha.health.state.hi.us