lead reduction

Can you tell me if there are any intitiatives to switch from using lead to
using steel for tire balancers on cars and trucks?  I know that each type
is used, and I would think that steel is better than lead from a water
quality standpoint.  Because these objects tend to land in street storm
water gutters when thay fall off of vehicles, they probably represent a
direct pollution threat.

I have not yet researched the economics and performance differences between
the two, if any exist but I have two ways to push this idea.

1)  State and federal agencies can quickly switch to using steel in fleets
of vehicles.

2) Tax or legislative changes can promote the switch by private business as
well (tire shops, mechanics, etc.)

Please forward this idea to whoever may find it useful and let me know if
you have any luck or information.

Thank you
Chris Gensic
VAPDC Program Coordinator