Re: clarification on LCA question

Life-cycle concepts have been used by environmental agencies in policy
development.  A case that comes to mind is one where regulating effluent
from industrial laundries that wash oily rags would have caused a shift to
the use of disposable towels for wiping.  SETAC has a document out called
"Public Policy Applications of Life-Cycle Assessment," edited by Dave Allen,
Frank Consoli, Gary Davis, James Fava, and John Warren.  It's actually the
proceedings of a 1995 meeting and was published in 1997.  You might find
that useful.

===============================
Kirsten Sinclair Rosselot, P.E.
Process Profiles
P.O. Box 8264
Calabasas, CA 91372-8264

rosselot@ix.netcom.com
http://pweb.netcom.com/~rosselot

(818) 878-0454
===============================

While the conceptual information about LCA is readily available, and there's
manuals that explain methodology, it can be daunting, the learning curve is
steep, and applying LCA at any given agency is going to require more than
just a quick surf on the web. Also, when you're using LCA information for
decisionmaking, you may end up having to make explicit tradeoffs between
environmental "bads". Agencies (and everyone else) implicitly do this all
the time, but it can be uncomfortable to try to pin down a public agency to
explicitly articulate the tradeoffs they have to make. In that respect using
LCA may open  some big cans of worms.

If you want to talk about it more, contact Keith Weitz, kaw@rti.org, 919 541
6973. He's done work on streamlined LCA that might be useful to you.

regards,
melissa malkin

Melissa Malkin
Research Triangle Institute, Pollution Prevention Program
POB 12194
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709-2194
voice: (919) 541-6154     fax (919) 541 7155
http://www.rti.org/units/ese/p2/ppb.html