drum" does not ring true to me. Generally speaking, stainless steel is not
considered very expensive when looking at it from a business point of view.
I would expect that  a commercial centrefuges would also be offered with
stainless steel drums. You might look for some at www.thomasregister.com

Rudy Moehrbach
Waste Reduction Resource Center
1639 MAIL SERVICE CENTER
RALEIGH, NC 27699-1639, USA
Tel 1-800-476-8686, Fax 919-715-1612
Check Our Website http://wrrc.p2pays.org/

-----Original Message-----
From: Judith Wlodarczyk [mailto:jwlodarc@connstep.org]
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 1999 11:23 AM
To: p2tech@great-lakes.net
Subject: ECM assistance

I have a client that uses an Electro-Chemical Machining (ECM) process to
manufacturer hypodermic needles, cannulae and other specialty products.
Currently, the product is removed from the ECM, put into a small tub in bulk
form and manually rinsed with water to remove the chemical solution.  It is
then
put into a tumbling process and rinsed again.  Both rinse waters are
disposed
into a holding tank for evaporation.

We would like to find a different way to remove the chemical without
introducing
water into the process.  If we could remove it without diluting with water,
we
can reuse the solution and keep the wastewater stream cleaner.  The current
process adds chromium levels in the wastewater that are above the discharge
limits, creating the necessity to evaporate.   The business is growing and
quickly going to exceed evaporation capabilities.

We discussed putting the product into a spin dryer and using centrifugal
force,
but are concerned that the chemical will destroy the drum very quickly,
unless
we use a very costly stainless steel drum.

Has anyone had success removing the chemical in such a way as to not use
water?
Any ideas or experience would be most appreciated.

Thank you,

Judy Wlodarczyk
CONN/STEP
185 Main Street, Suite 408