From: Judith Wlodarczyk <jwlodarc@connstep.org>
To: <p2tech@great-lakes.net>
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 1999 10:23 AM
Subject: ECM assistance

> I have a client that uses an Electro-Chemical
Machining (ECM) process to
> manufacturer hypodermic needles, cannulae and
other specialty products.
> Currently, the product is removed from the ECM,
put into a small tub in bulk
> form and manually rinsed with water to remove
the chemical solution.  It is then
> put into a tumbling process and rinsed again.
Both rinse waters are disposed
> into a holding tank for evaporation.
>
> We would like to find a different way to remove
the chemical without introducing
> water into the process.  If we could remove it
without diluting with water, we
> can reuse the solution and keep the wastewater
stream cleaner.  The current
> process adds chromium levels in the wastewater
that are above the discharge
> limits, creating the necessity to evaporate.
The business is growing and
> quickly going to exceed evaporation
capabilities.

> We discussed putting the product into a spin
dryer and using centrifugal force,
> but are concerned that the chemical will destroy
the drum very quickly, unless
> we use a very costly stainless steel drum.
>
> Has anyone had success removing the chemical in
such a way as to not use water?
> Any ideas or experience would be most
appreciated.

> Thank you,