RE: Looking for Info on Parts Cleaner

I agree with Bill that these distillation units (when used with mineral spirits)
simply extend the life of high VOC solvents. Given the tightening regs here in
Califrornia, we have significant experience demonstrating that low-VOC aqueous
cleaners are viable, cost-effective alternatives. For many standard cleaning
operations, these units not only save money but significantly reduce waste
generation. Katie Wolf of the Institute for Research and Technical Assistance
has published several reports on converting to water-based cleaning, along with
compelling case studies - you can find them on the Web at
http://www.dtsc.ca.gov/sppt/opptd/pollprvn.  EPA Region 9 also is developing a
fact sheets on converting to aqueous, including a cost comparison worksheet, and
will also publish a summary of 15 California case studies of auto repair and
fleet maintenance facilities that have successfully converted to water based
cleaning.  These materials should be completed in the next 6 weeks.

John Katz
EPA Region 9
katz.john@epa.gov

BGreen@ecolink.com on 07/30/99 05:56:05 AM