Re: Underground Injection of Hazardous Waste

My biggest objection to underground injection of hazardous wastes is that if
it does turn out to be the wrong thing to do, by the time we find out it
will be too late.  There will be no way to undo the damage.  This form of
disposal has been going on for about 50 years, which on a geologic time
scale is nothing.  There's no way to prove that the models showing no
migration over a 10,000 year time span (the requirement for haz waste
injection) are adequate.  Remember that at one time, chlorinated
fluorocarbons were the solution to a variety of environmental ills.

Contamination of groundwater from Class I wells has rarely taken place in
the past.  However, besides a failure of the well itself or inadequate
modeling techniques, geologic events can change confining beds and this
isn't modeled.  Also, migration might occur through
unaccounted for (not included in the no-migration model) and abandoned oil
and gas wells.

Companies that are currently relying on underground injection for waste
management should realize that one catastrophic event will result in a
sudden ban on this method of disposal, and alternatives take years to
implement.  Some of the big chemical manufacturers are out of underground
injection, partly because of this.  Also partly because the word on the
street is that underground injection isn't going to be allowed indefinitely.

One of the arguments for approving of underground injection is that it is
preferred over other forms of land disposal.  But that's lame -- we're way
past the stage where disposal to the environment is the only option.

For more info on haz waste injection wells, you might want to see Chapter 9
of the Texas Environmental Almanac Online -- it's sponsored by the Texas
Center for Policy Studies.  I can't find the address but you should be able
to find it with a search.

Kirsten Sinclair Rosselot, P.E.
Process Profiles
P.O. Box 8264