Solvent One versus Aqueous Cleaners

Dear P2 techers: See the attached file on the latest aqueous parts clea=3D
ning case
studies from California!

I have been following the thread on the "System One" solvent parts wash=3D
er and
want to add to John Katz's previous message on aqueous cleaners. As Joh=3D
n stated,
we are very close to completing several fact sheets and a video that fe=3D
ature
aqueous parts cleaners, as well several other "Best Environmental Pract=3D
ices" for
auto repair and vehicle fleet maintenance operations (September 1st is =3D
our
target date - we will announce their availability on P2 tech listserve =3D
when
they're completed).

As a sample of the kind of information we will be providing, I have att=3D
ached an
MS word file with highlights from 5 studies of aqueous cleaners conduct=3D
ed
recently in California. As you may know, two California air districts h=3D
ave
recently passed laws requiring facilties to switch to low VOC (<5%) cle=3D
aners.
The result is that there has been a lot of progress in aqueous cleaning=3D

capabilities and a lot of new players are entering the market. The info=3D
rmation
contained here will be included in one of the fact sheets we will make =3D
available
shortly, but I thought I should "steal my own thunder" as it were, and =3D
let
others know about these great new units/chemistries before we all go ou=3D
t and
recommend the "System One" as the panacea for reducing solvent emmision=3D
s from
parts cleaning operations. As you can see, there are also several great=3D
aqueous
cleaners available right now. References and a list of vendors is provi=3D
ded in
text below. Sorry, I don't know if any of them are publicly traded...

Leif Magnuson
Pollution Prevention Coordinator
U.S. EPA Region IX
75 Hawthorne St.