Re: Underground Injection of Hazardous Waste

The basic concept of deep well injection is to use geologic formations of
the type that have formerly held oil and gas for thousands of years to
permanently trap wastes underground.  The requirements include that the
waste is to be injected at least 1000 feet below any potential underground
source of drinking water, with at least one confining geologic strata (one
that is impervious to the waste and not likely to be fractured.  Most wells
are more than 5,000 feet deep and many are substantially deeper.

In addition, the siting requirements include a surface distance from any
drinking water well.

Injection wells are triple cased, with the outer casing either cemented or
containing gas pressure for leak detection, the middle ring containing gas
pressure for leak detection (so that leaks go into the inner casing, rather
than out) and the inner casing used for disposal.

>From observation of such operations, my remark is that the risk of other
hazardous materials operations is much greater.  For example, I think there
is a greater risk to drinking water from the transportation of gasoline than
from deep well injection of wastes, given current regulation of the latter,
and the limited regulation and high frequency of the transportation of
gasoline.

Deep well injection is used primarily for dilute wastes which are very
difficult to treat in a cost effective manner, including dilute organics,
and acids and bases that have either metal or organic contamination or both.

Keep in mind that the residues of treatment are still legally hazardous
waste and cannot be discharged to surface unless delisting has taken place.
Delisting is a very expensive process with not the greatest likelihood of
success, and treatment to a level that is likely to result in delisting can
be prohibitively expensive, however, that should be the goal.

Deep well injection is recognized by most users and advocates for it as a
temporary solution until better treatment technology is available and a
regulatory structure that makes it easier to certify a waste as treated to a
level appropriate for discharge.

Much of the deep well injection in this country is for other purposes,
including disposal of brines, such as from oil and gas production, and
enhanced recovery operations in oil and gas fields.