--------------
Sender: owner-p2tech@great-lakes.net

More fun with definitions!  Remember my stupid joke??

How do you drive Pollution Prevention professionals crazy?  Put them at a
Roundtable and tell them there is a definition in the corner!  :-)

Actually this question keeps coming up and I have a handy dandy answer:
read the attached fabulous and footnoted paper, What is the Relationship
Among Cleaner Production, Pollution Prevention, Waste Minimization and ISO
14000? that I wrote a few years ago for a conference in Taiwan.  You will
find "authorized" definitions, reference sources, highly opinionated,
biased and inflammatory commentary :-), and a cool graphic that impressed
lots of Taiwanese chemical company guys, most of whom spent the time
sketching the picture during my speech instead of listening to my eloquent
discourse.  Of course most of them only spoke Mandarin...

Comments are welcome, the paper is due for revision of the commentary
anyway since we all have more experience with trying out the definitions on
the road.  This is of course not the only paper about definitions (but
maybe one of the more opinionated ones).  Maybe NPPR should get a
collection of such papers on its website for downloading?  For example,
Harry Freeman's definitive paper about P2 in the very early 1990s would a
good one to include if someone can get the copyright clearance.  Then
"newbies" can be directed to p2.org to get the definitions they are looking
for.

hope you like the paper and give me some feedback.

Burt Hamner

At 12:50 PM 8/11/1999 -0400, Hillenbrand, Steve wrote:
>Pollution Prevention means the same as Cleaner Production.  So read it as
>Cleaner Production Pays.   Generally speaking, when you reduce the
>generation of waste at the source, the process becomes more efficient,
>therefore either less raw materials are required or more product is produced
>(or both).  This "pays" or saves you money (or makes more money).
>
>Steve Hillenbrand
>Industrial Waste Reduction Engineer
>Process & Prevention Services (P&PS)
>Tennessee Valley Authority