RE: Teen Group Seeking Inspiration RE: Environmental guide

Union of Concerned Scientists recently tried to identify the "personal
choices" that have the most impact on the environment.
Then they wrote a book about it: The Consumer's Guide to Effective
Environmental  Choices. A book review featured on their site explains that
the really big-ticket environmental protection items include:

        -- Walk, bike, or take the bus when you can.
            Better for your health and your pocketbook,
            much easier on the planet.

         -- Eat less meat. Beef and pork have the highest
            ecological costs, chicken and dairy products
            less so, grain and fruits and vegetables still
            less.

         -- Buy certified organic produce, which is getting
            easier and cheaper to do as the organic
            market grows. Organic farming saves huge
            amounts of pesticide and water pollution. If
            you also want to save the transport of your
            food, plus money, plus get good exercise and
            much pleasure, grow your own.

        -- Upgrade your heating and hot-water
            efficiency. Most American homes are energy
            sinks; insulating and stopping up the holes
            makes us more comfortable at less cost.

        -- Get the most efficient appliances and lights. In
            order of electricity consumption, here's the
            order of upgrade that will make the most
            difference: refrigerator, lights, television,
            electric dryer, stand-alone freezer, electric
            ranges/oven.

-- Make a travel budget. See if you can reduce
            your driving and air travel by 10 or 20 or 30
            percent. Prepare for the time when gas will
            cost $5 a gallon, which it already does in
            Europe. Work out driving habits consistent
            with $40-$50 fill-ups.

http://www.ucsusa.org/less/index.html

The book review goes on to say that the big flaw with the book's
recommendations (as opposed to many of the consumer goods that it
challenges) is that they do NOT purport to make you sexy, powerful, or
superior to your neighbors.  But they do give you a good claim on
moral/social superiority, which could be a big selling point with the teen
crowd :)

Melissa Malkin
Research Triangle Insitute
mjmalkin@rti.org