Re: Pollution Prevention through Zoning

Our Suffolk County Dept of Public Works has done something along that lines by
incorporating requirements in regulations to obtain a sewage discharge permit.
There are also regulations that have special requirements for industries in
groundwater sensitive/ management areas on Long Island.  If you want I can send
them to you. If interested please send me your mailing address. Some local towns
have created special zoning districts or overlays that limit what type of use can
occur and a special variance is required for exceptions. For example a golf course
in a ground water protection overlay district.

Zoning regulations often have a variance provision which can give a way out for
certain projects and therefore are not always effective because the town subcomes
to political pressures for projects (my personal opinion and observation).

Judy Jakobsen
SCWA P2 Program.