Business, the economy and sustainability

PLEASE DISTRIBUTE THIS MESSAGE WIDELY

An invitation to help develop the global knowledge-framework
for the timely creation of an ecologically sustainable economy

The International Society for Ecological Economics (ISEE) will hold its
next biennial conference in July 2000.  Associated with that conference will
be a 12 month, internet-based program on 'Business, the economy and
sustainability' - which begins now.  The program involves an electronic
mini-conference and pre-conference networking and email-based preparatory
workshops and seminars.

You are invited to subscribe *immediately* to this electronic program.
The electronic program costs $40 (Australian) if you register for it alone
or it comes 'free' if you have registered for the physical conference to
be held in Canberra, Australia in July 2000.

The content of this email
---------------------------------

*    1.  Who is the electronic conference for?
*    2.  What is the aim of the electronic conference?
*    3.  Where can I find out all about the electronic conference
program?
*    4.  How can I be kept in touch with what is going on?
*    5.  What is the basic program?
*    6. Conference database resources - built through global
collaboration
*    7.  Call for papers
*    8.  Letting others know about your activities
*    9.  The Advisory Network
*  10.  Volunteering
*  11.  Partnerships/sponsorships
*  12.  How to register for the electronic conference
*  13.  Finding out about the physical conference in Canberra in July
2000

1.  Who is the electronic conference for?

It is aimed at business people, R&D people, policy makers, educators and
advocates interested in the creation of an ecologically sustainable
economy through the 'redesign of commerce'.  It is especially aimed at
business
people involved in strategic planning, business development, product
development, R&D and training.

In other words, it is aimed at *pioneers* and *catalysts* engaged in
making real and meaningful change, in the real world.

And it has been designed for busy people who are looking for value-for-
money.  By using the Internet you can engage with leading-edge thinkers
from around the globe - without having to leave your home base.  And you

can interact with conference participants at times of your own choosing
- so you don't have to disrupt your work schedule.

We promise high quality content and interactions, without overwhelming
your email in-tray.

2.  What is the aim of the electronic conference?

The electronic conference on 'Business, the economy and sustainability'
will address the challenge of how "to engage firms in the timely
creation of
a sustainable economy".  This involves consideration of how firms are
managed and how the market is shaped.

The theme's objectives are to:
*  present the state of the art (in theory and practice)
*  help develop the research agenda globally
*  build collaborative networks among businesses, research
organisations,
   government agencies and advocacy organisations
*  assist people who want to encourage businesses to take on the
promotion
   of sustainability

A key issue is to work out how to achieve the necessary *speed* and
*scale* of change - across the whole world.

3.  Where can I find out all about the electronic conference program?

You can get all the information you need from the web at:

        http://www.green-innovations.asn.au/isee2000-bes.htm

4.  How can I be kept in touch with what is going on?

Anyone interested in the electronic conference can be kept in touch by
subscribing to the free announcement email list for the 'Business, the
economy and sustainability' theme.

You do not need to have registered for the electronic conference to
subscribe to this list.

To subscribe send a blank message to:

        isee2000-bes-involve-subscribe@onelist.com

To unsubscribe, at any time, send a blank message from the *same* email
address to:

5.  What is the basic program?
----------------------

The electronic conference activities pivot around the ISEE 2000 physical
conference in July 2000.

Leading up to the July 2000 physical conference, and starting now, we
will be holding several on-line seminars and workshops.  Topics include:

*   "how can firms contribute to the timely creation of an ecologically
sustainable economy"
*   "advancing the ecological economic research agenda on issues
relating to sustainability and the firm"

There will also be an opportunity to make input to the structure of the
business theme activities through online discussion and networking.

After the physical conference in July 2000 there will be a series of
actively moderated, high profile online seminars on the following topics:

*   Sustainability! But what does it mean?
*   How far, how fast?
*   Images of sustainable futures and pathways there
*   Redesigning consumption
*   Redesigning the firm
*   Redesigning industry structures
*   Redesigning the economic playing field
*   Redesigning local economies
*   Strategies for change

6.  Conference database resources - built through global collaboration
------

Green Innovations has developed a prototype database of ethically
profiled firms.  People and organisations from around the world who are
interested in this database will help to upgrade the software shell and
expand and
improve the datasets over the life of the electronic conference.  Registrants
for the electronic conference will be given continuous access to the latest
version of a database of ethically profiled firms throughout the time of the
electronic conference.

*Resources permitting*, it is intended that key business strategies and
findings identified through the seminars and workshops of the electronic

conference will be extracted and recorded in databases.  Any such
additional databases will also be made available to registrants.

7.  Call for papers
------

Papers and proposals for workshops and debates/discussions are requested
for the 'Business, the economy and sustainability' theme to be presented
in the electronic conference and/or at the physical conference in July 2000

in Canberra.

The 'Business, the economy and sustainability' theme aims to span issues

ranging from:

- the vision of sustainability to....
- how an ecologically sustainable economy can be created.

The topics to be covered are:

*  The vision
        - What do we mean by sustainability - across the ecological,
social and economic domains?  How do the domains interact?
        - How far and how fast should we change business if
sustainability is to be achieved soon?  What are the ecological, social
and economic imperatives?
        - What are meaningful images of sustainable futures- and what
might be the pathways to such futures?

*  New designs. How can we redesign.........
        - consumption (the demand side of the market)
        - the management of the firm
        - industry structures
        - the playing field (eg. macro policy and other big picture
aspects of the institutional setting)
        - local economies (eg. sustainability-promoting local economic
development strategies)

*  The change process. How can we make the economic restructuring
    process happen at an adequate scale and speed?

We are looking for material that provides insight into:
*  crucial common ground
*  controversies
*  gaps
*  regional/cultural differences.

Papers could contain material about:
*  models
*  issues
*  examples.

*Please note* - to be acceptable, papers and other contributions to the
'Business, the economy and sustainability' theme area will need to
demonstrate or propose actions that specifically target sustainability.
Untargeted contributions about general 'greening' or the more ethical
operation of the economy or firms will not be sufficient to qualify
contributions to the conference.

Details about how to express interest and when and how to lodge
abstracts and final paper can be found on the theme web site:

        http://www.green-innovations.asn.au/isee2000-bes.htm

Greenleaf Publishing will be publishing the book arising from the
'Business, the economy and sustainability' theme.  Material presented on
the theme
through the electronic conference or at the physical conference will be
considered for inclusion in the book.  See the theme web site for more
information about the book.

Greenleaf can be contacted at:

        http://www.greenleaf-publishing.com/
        greenleaf@worldscope.co.uk

8.  Letting others know about your activities
------

A 'resources' page has been established on the 'Business, the economy
and sustainability' theme web site.  If your organisation is relevant to
the theme then we would be pleased to include some information about it.

9.  The Advisory Network
------

A global advisory network has been established for the 'Business, the
economy and sustainability' theme.  We are actively building up this
network.  We hope to have at least one adviser in each country /
economy.

10.  Volunteering
------

The 'Business, the economy and sustainability' theme organisers are
building up a volunteer team of organisers from around the world.
Please let us know if you can help us find volunteers or you are able to
volunteers

yourself.  Almost all that needs to be done can be done via email and
the web so people from anywhere in the world are encouraged to be involved.

11.  Partnerships/sponsorships
------

We are looking for other organisations that are interested in being a
partner or sponsor of the 'Business, the economy and sustainability' theme
activities.  If you would like to discuss the possibilities of
partnership or sponsorship please contact:

        <bes-partners@green-innovations.asn.au>

12.  How to register for the electronic conference
------

To register for the physical conference/electronic mini-conference
together or for the electronic mini-conference alone go to the
Registration Form on
the web:

        http://www.anu.edu.au/cce/isee/registration.html

13.  Finding out about the physical conference in Canberra in July 2000
------

To find out about the ISEE 2000 physical conference in Canberra from 5-8

July 2000 go to:

        http://www.anu.edu.au/cce/isee/

------

This message was prepared by:

Philip Sutton
Director, Policy & Strategy
Green Innovations Inc.
for the ISEE 2000 Conference Organising Committee.

General inquiries about the 'Business, the economy and sustainability'
theme and the electronic mini-conference should be directed to:

        <bes@green-innovations.asn.au>

----end of message---

Juna Z. Snow
List Manager