Re-visit of cleaning metal prior to painting

Hey guys,

Several months ago, I solicited some advice for one of my
manufacturers. I now have additional info since they contracted to
have this problem solved.

Here are the details:

Process steps: form metal, clean, paint, air dry, assemble

Metal is phosphate treated zinc galvanized cold rolled steel

Cleaning process by handwiping formed metal boxes: use this
method since a large majority of their painted product is already
assembled prior to painting

Cleaner contains-toluene, MEK, acetone, isopropanol, xylene.
They are interested in changing to a less VOC/HAP oriented
cleaner but the paint not sticking is the primary issue right now.

Paint-two kinds: one is an urethane/acrylic polymer (gray color)
and the other is acrylic polymer (bone color). The acrylic polymer
(bone color) is the one they are having problems with. They are
moving to all bone color boxes.

The drying time is approximately 1-2 days for the bone color
boxes before being assembled onto the rest of the parts. No
drying oven is used.

Observations: Flaking on edges, paint comes up as screws are
torqued, able to peel paint off in one piece instead of in flakes.

Any suggestions as to how to alleviate the paint peeling process?

I do have the MSDS sheets from the paint manufacturer. They
have even been out to vist the manufacturer and haven't been
able to come up with a good answer.

They are looking to move into a major consumer market and paint
peeling is not a good thing (in the words of Martha Stewart).

Thanks.
Kirsten

Kirsten M. Koepsel
Texas Manufacturing Assistance Center