Re: Re-visit of cleaning metal prior to painting

Kirsten,

They are probably not getting the parts very clean with the wipe
process.  Are they just taking off light preservation oil?  An aqueous
batch process with good rinsing should do a better job, in addition to
being cost-effective and low emmission.  If they are phosphating
in-house, there are acidic aqueous based combination
cleaning/phosphoting products available.  Two vendors I know of off hand
that supply them are DuBois and Oakite, there may be others as well.
There is an interesting case study published on closed-looping of such a
system:

Recovery of an Aqueous Iron Phosphating/Degreasing Bath by
Ultrafiltration, Lindsey T.C., et al. J. Air & Waste Manage. Assoc. Vol
44, May 1944, p 697-701

If they are dead set on the wipe process, why not try a light odorless
mineral spirits.

Phil Bevilacqua
NJTAP