Re: Recycled Building Materials

At 01:31 AM 8/18/1999 EDT, SDief@aol.com wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Does anyone out there have any information on the market for recycled
>building materials?  I have a client who is interested in setting up a
>demolition/recycled building material business and he is looking for
>information on other businesses that have done the same.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Sarah M. Diefendorf
>Executive Director
>Environmental Finance Center, Region IX
>Alameda Point
>851 West Midway Ave.
>Alameda, CA 94501
>
>Ph:  510-749-6867
>Fx:  510-749-6862
>Email:  sdief@aol.com

Sarah:

A great resource is the Materials for the Future Foundation
(http://www.materials4future.org), based in the Bay Area.  They work with
all types of recovered materials but especially with building materials.
The have a page of resources for starting recovered materials.  See
especially their overview of markets for recycled lumber.

Be aware that any buildings being demolished that are of pre-1978
construction likely contain lead-based paint. Last December, EPA proposed
rules covering management and disposal of wood coated with LBP from
abatement projects and demolitions
(http://www.epa.gov/fedrgstr/EPA-TRI/1998/December/Day-18/tri33326.htm).
The rules include a prohibition on reuse of any LBP-coated material when
the paint is in "deteriorated" condition.

-Jeff Cantin

Eastern Research Group 		www.erg.com
|______|_|  \_\\_____| 		Lexington, MA 02424-3136
                                jcantin@erg.com