World Bank evaluation of environmental impact (fwd)

FYI.  While this is mostly of interest to those who are pretty
knowledgeable about World Bank programs and operations, the wide ranging
discussion (you can read it on their website) raises lots of issues about
the effectiveness of sustainability interventions that are relevant to a
much broader audience.  Too bad we don't all have the money the World Bank
does to try things out.

>> A MESSAGE FROM THE WORLD BANK TO INTERACTION MEMBER AGENCIES
>
>> The World Bank's Operations Evaluation Department (OED) invites you to
>> join an electronic discussion on the evaluation of the World Bank
>> Group's performance in promoting environmental sustainability in
>> development. The discussion begins on July 6, 1999 and will last for a
>> period of four to six weeks.  The objective is:
>
>> * to bring together representatives from NGOs, private sector,
>> international organizations and other stakeholders to discuss their
>> views on the Bank's performance in promoting environmental
>> sustainability in development;
>
>> * for the OED to obtain useful knowledge (relevant information and
>> evidence) for its evaluation; and
>
>> * to prepare the ground for the dissemination and assimilation of the
>> evaluation's findings by the Bank and other interested stakeholders.
>
>> In the late 1980s, following upon growing worldwide concerns about the
>> compatibility of economic development with environmental
>> sustainability, the World Bank greatly strengthened its efforts to
>> integrate environmental concerns into the mainstream of developmental
>> policymaking.  This led to introduction of environmental concerns into
>> the development agenda; the design and implementation of a great
>> number and variety of environmental products, including projects,
>> policy guidance, research and training; the formulation of widely
>> accepted guidelines on environmental matters; and the broadening of
>> the Bank's reach through its leadership role in the global
>> environmental debate and new partnerships with international and local
>> organizations.  However, considering the magnitude of environmental
>> issues, the impact of the World Bank Group's programs on broad
>> environmental trends in the developing world has been limited, and the
>> achievements of various programs have been mixed.  Serious issues are
>> still being raised about the Bank Group's performance in living up to
>> its commitment to environmental sustainability.
>
>> Information on this online discussion, including background materials,
>> can be found in the Development Forum discussion space on the World
>> Bank's web site
>
>  <http://www.worldbank.org/devforum/current-environment.html
>
>> The conference will take the form of a moderated email discussion
>> list, archived onto the Development Forum website.  A team of
>> moderators will review all messages for relevance before posting them
>> to the list.  The moderators will also prepare regular summaries of
>> the discussion for posting both to the list and to the Forum site.
>
>> We plan to prepare a synthesis report of the discussions based on the
>> workshops, short notes, and commissioned papers.  The conference is
>> open to the public.  However, the moderators will enforce both the
>> general rules of decorum of the Development Forum and the specific
>> rule that contributions to this conference should be directly
> [...]
Burton Hamner
President, Hamner and Associates LLC
Adjunct Professor, Asian Institute of Management
4343 4th Avenue NW, Seattle Washington USA 91807
Tel/fax: 206-789-5499 (call before sending a fax)
Email:  bhamner@mindspring.com
Web:  The Sustainable Business Webspace, www.mindspring.com/~bhamner