2,2,4 trimethylpentane (Isopar C) - usage and health & safetyinformation

Greetings

   I am researching usage and health & saftey information on thirty chemicals (HAPs).  2,2,4 trimethylpentane (aka iso-octane and a key component in Isopar C) is one of those chemicals.  This information will be placed on IDEM's ToxWatch page which will include air monitoring data from eighty-seven chemicals (thirty HAPs are a subset of this list) in four Indiana counties.

   From my research into Exxon products, Isopar C is used in lithographic inks and possibly as a cleaning agent.  What is the current usage of this chemical?  How wide spread is the use of this chemical?  What are effective substitutes (if any)?  Please relate any other experiences you might have had with using this material.

   Additionally, it is my understanding that Isopar C/2,2,4 trimethylpentane might be found in pesticide formulations.  Is this true?  If yes, what formulations?  Who would manufacture the pesticide formulation so I could obtain more information on proper usage?

   Some of the other Isopar formulations are used in every day consumer products (deodorizers, cleaning agents, etc.).  Does anyone know of the use of Isopar C/2,2,4 trimethylpentane in any consumer product?  I would doubt it, but I want to check anyway.  It would be quite ironic to monitor a HAP from an industrial source where a HAP may be emitted in greater concentration in someone's home.

   I thank you for your assistance in this effort!

Mark C. Stoddard
Indiana Department of Environmental Management
Compliance & Technical Assistance Program
mstoddar@dem.state.in.us