RE: 2,2,4 trimethylpentane (Isopar C) - usage and health & safet

Mark:
Interesting question, whether lithographic inks contain Isopar C. I =
currently track all HAPs in our litho inks and can say that this is NOT =
present in our lithographic inks. What's more, I took the trouble to =
reaffirm this with our supplier's technical staff, and they have confirmed =
that Isopar C (and 2,2,4 trimethylpentane) is not in their inks.

For the record, our supplier is Flint Ink, one of the largest ink =
suppliers in the country.
Also, I am very familiar with cleaning solvent blends used in the printing =
industry, and I can confirm that Isopar C is not a component in any =
cleaning solvent blend I have encountered.

Also for the record, the HAPs that may be seen in lithographic inks =
include: Ethyl Benzene (100-41-4); Methyl Carbitol (111-77-3); Butyl =
Carbito (112-34-5); Hydroquinone (123-31-9); Butyl Carbitol acetate (124-=
17-4); Hydrochloric acid (7647-01-0); Xylene (1330-20-7); and Formaldehyde =
(50-00-0). =

The above listed HAPs occur in very small quantities. Typically, in our =
experience, all HAPs combined account for about 2/10ths of one percent of =
product weight in our lithographic ink.

Hope this lends some clarity to your research, and to others who may have =
questions regarding HAPs in lithographic inks.

Regards,
Jeff Adrian
Director, Environment & Safety
The John Roberts Company
MARK STODDARD wrote:
>Greetings
>
>   I am researching usage and health & saftey information on thirty =
>chemicals (HAPs).  2,2,4 trimethylpentane (aka iso-octane and a key =
component in =
>Isopar C) is one of those chemicals.  This information will be placed on =
IDEM's =
>ToxWatch page which will include air monitoring data from eighty-seven =
>chemicals (thirty HAPs are a subset of this list) in four Indiana =
counties.

>   From my research into Exxon products, Isopar C is used in lithographic =
>inks and possibly as a cleaning agent.  What is the current usage of this =
>chemical?  How wide spread is the use of this chemical?  What are =
effective =
>substitutes (if any)?  Please relate any other experiences you might have =
>had with using this material.
>
>   Additionally, it is my understanding that Isopar C/2,2,4 =
>trimethylpentane might be found in pesticide formulations.  Is this true? =
If yes, what =
>formulations?  Who would manufacture the pesticide formulation so I could =
>obtain more information on proper usage?
>
>   Some of the other Isopar formulations are used in every day consumer =
>products (deodorizers, cleaning agents, etc.).  Does anyone know of the =
use of Isopar =
>C/2,2,4 trimethylpentane in any consumer product?  I would doubt it, but =
I =
>want to check anyway.  It would be quite ironic to monitor a HAP from an =
industrial =
>source where a HAP may be emitted in greater concentration in someone's =
home.

>   I thank you for your assistance in this effort!
>

>Mark C. Stoddard
>Indiana Department of Environmental Management
>Compliance & Technical Assistance Program
>mstoddar@dem.state.in.us

Juna Z. Snow
List Manager
listman@wmrc.uiuc.edu