Re: petrol stations

I don't know if you're looking for specific equipment vendors or what, but I
can help you with some basic information on gasoline vapor emissions from
gas stations and point you towards some strategies that have been adopted in
the US.

There are basically four categories of gasoline vapor losses at petrol
stations:
1) Breathing and emptying losses from underground storage tanks -- when the
barometric pressure drops, air inside the tank that has become saturated
with gasoline vapor exits the tank; if the barometric pressure rises or when
gasoline is pumped out of the tank, fresh air is drawn into the tank,
becomes saturated, and some of it exits the tank; temperature changes cause
similar losses.
2) Displacement losses during filling of underground storage tanks -- the
partially empty tank contains air that is saturated with gasoline and when
liquid gasoline is pumped in, this air exits the tank, with quantities along
the lines of 1000 mg of gasoline vapor per liter of throughput, depending on
temperature differences between the fuel in the tank and the fuel being
pumped in and on the vapor pressure of the gasoline.
3) Displacement losses from refueling vehicles -- same as displacement
losses during filling of underground storage tanks.
4) Spills.

Vapor balance systems that return gasoline vapors from the storage tank
being filled to the truck that is filling it reduce storage tank filling
losses by 93 to 100 percent.  Vapor balance systems for displaced vapors
from vehicle fuel tanks have control efficiencies around 90%.  Vapor balance
systems for vehicle refueling also result in decreased underground storage
tank emptying losses (which are probably fairly minimal, compared to
refueling losses).    By the year 2006, almost all the cars sold in the US
will have onboard vapor recovery systems to reduce refueling vapor losses.

Late in 1991, the US EPA issued a Technical Guidance document for vapor
recovery systems for vehicle refueling and this might be particularly
helpful to you.  I don't know if you can order it from the NCEPI
(http://www.epa.gov/ncepihom/catalog.html) or if you'll have to contact NTIS
(http://www.ntis.gov).  There are two volumes -- one of chapters and one of
appendices, and the title is "Technical Guidance -- Stage II Vapor Recovery
Systems for Control of Vehicle Refueling Emissions at Gasoline Dispensing
Facilities," EPA 450/3-91-022a and EPA 450/3-91-022b.  If you're interested
in a longer list of related docs, let me know.

Kirsten Sinclair Rosselot, P.E.
Process Profiles
P.O. Box 8264
Calabasas, CA 91372-8264