Release of the "Profile of Indian Union and States: 1999-2000" -

BHARAT INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SERVICES
A - 44, Top Floor, Gujrawala Apartments,
J - Block, Vikaspuri,  New Delhi - 110 018.

Telephone and Fax: +91-11-550 0753

Email: hindbits@ndf.vsnl.net.in
August 30, 1999
Kailash Chandra Gupta
M.E. (Mechanical), Former Professor, BITS, Piulani
Honorary Advisor

Dear Sir/Madam,

Subject:	Release of the "Profile of Indian Union and States: 1999-2000"
- a special issue of our regular annual publication of the "Yearbook of
Energy-Environment Statistics (YES)"

Over the five decades after Independence, developmental planning has
helped India to achieve the goals of a planned development process.
However, the benefits of development are not proportionately
distributed to society at micro- and macro-levels, as it is clear from
the fact that there is a disproportionate growth in urban-rural areas.
This is the prime reason behind people migrating from rural to urban
areas. In order to check and minimize such disproportionate and
inequitable growth, we believe that every State has to play a key role
and assume greater responsibility in balanced development of its less
developed areas to enable sustainable development.

In this direction, Bharat Information Technology Services has taken an
initiative to highlight and record the growth patterns of our States by
publishing a Profile of Indian Union and States 1999-2000 with specific
reference to energy, environment and economy. The contents of the same
is attached herewith.

The Profile of Indian Union and States 1999-2000 which is a special
issue of our regular annual publication of the Yearbook of
Energy-Environment Statistics (YES) which has been released in May,
1999 and has already received wide appreciation from cross-section of
Institutions and people on account of its coverage of information and
data. The Bharat Information Technology Services therefore solicits
your order for the "Profile of Indian Union and States: 1999-2000" vide
copy of the order form attached. The price of the said special issue is
Rs. 1500/- per copy (Inland) and $ 200/- per copy (Foreign). The
payment may be sent through a Cheque/Bank Draft favouring Bharat
Information Technology Services payable at New Delhi.

We look forward to your valuable order.

Thanking you,

Yours sincerely,
for Bharat Information Technology Services

(K. C. Gupta)

CONTENTS

SECTION I:	CURRENT STATUS OF ENERGY SUPPLY SECTORS AND ENVIRONMENT

1 Energy sector
2 Coal sector
3 Oil and gas sector
4 Power sector
4.1	The private power policy of the GOI
	(The details are placed in Annexure I)
5 Renewable energy sources
5.1	Cogeneration schemes
6 Environment
6.1	Environmental Protection Rules (EPA)
	(The details are placed in Annexure II)

SECTION 	II :		PROFILE OF INDIAN UNION AND STATES

1 India

States

2 Andhra Pradesh
3 Arunachal Pradesh
4 Assam
5 Bihar
6 Delhi
7 Goa
8 Gujarat
9 Haryana
10 Himachal Pradesh
11 Jammu and Kashmir
12 Karnataka
13 Kerala
14 Madhya Pradesh
15 Maharashtra
16 Manipur
17 Meghalaya
18 Mizoram
19 Nagaland
20 Orissa
21 Punjab
22 Rajasthan
23 Sikkim
24 Tamil Nadu
25 Tripura
26 Uttar Pradesh
27 West Bengal

Union Territories

28 Andaman and Nicobar Islands
29 Chandigarh
30 Dadra and Nagar Haveli
31 Daman and Diu
32 Lakshadweep
33 Pondicherry

SECTION III :	NETWORKS ON ENERGY & ENVIRONMENT

1 BISNET India

SECTION 	IV : 		SOME ARTICLES ON RELATED THEMES

1 Atomic Energy in India: A Perspective
2 Eco-friendly Energy Sources for the Coming Millennium