USGS VOC's in USDW and Child Cancer

From: Glenn G Patterson <gpatter@usgs.gov>
To: Donald Sutherland <donaldsutherland-iso14000@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tuesday, September 07, 1999 2:58 PM
Subject: Re: inquiry pertaining to VOC's in ground water

Generally, anything that can cause cancer in adults can cause
cancer in children.  Children are considered more susceptible
to cancer because their cells are multiplying more rapidly than
those of adults.  As I said, however, health effects research is
outside the purview of the USGS; for more specific information,
it would be good to contact the EPA.  They have a whole office
dedicated to environmental threats to children's health.  See
their web page at:

         <www.epa.gov/children/>

Good luck!

Donald Sutherland wrote:

 Glenn,
Thank you so much for your though and prompt response to my inquiries.

 You said some VOCs have been shown to cause cancer.  Does that mean some
 VOCs can cause cancer in children?

 Best Wishes,
 Donald Sutherland
 Member of the Society of Environmental Journalists
 donaldsutherland-iso14000@worldnet.att.net