Fwd: Re: Origin of P2 Week

Thought I had sent this to the list but haven't seen it.

Kathryn Barwick
Office of Pollution Prevention
California Dept of Toxic Substances Control
Ph (916) 323-9560
F   (916) 327-4494
email: kbarwick@dtsc.ca.gov

-- BEGIN included message

Good question.  If I remember correctly, we can lay the blame on Isao Kobashi and Ken Smarkel (Ken was the first supervisor in our source reduction planning program).  It came from one of those "wouldn't it be great if. . . " kinds of conversations (anyone who knows Isao know that's the only kind of conversation he ever has!!).  The California network (small n) of local p2 programs fleshed out the idea, which was originally supported by the Dept. of Toxic Substances Control (Dave Hartley's group), USEPA Region IX (PPIS Grant, I think) and the Local Government Commission (Tony Eulo), which developed most of the original guidance materials.

One correction:  Michelle Russo's description characterized the origina of P2 Week as "at the grassroots level", which implies (to me) NGOs.  Not true.  This was conceived and implemented by California governmental agencies at the local, state and federal level.

Kathryn Barwick
Office of Pollution Prevention
California Dept of Toxic Substances Control
Ph (916) 323-9560
F   (916) 327-4494
email: kbarwick@dtsc.ca.gov

>>> "Marlyn Aguilar - SHWB" <maguilar@eha.health.state.hi.us> 09/07/99 02:09PM >>>
Hi Everyone!

Does anyone know the history/origin of P2 week or where I can get
more info?

Thanks in advance!
Marlyn Aguilar
Hawaii Dept of Health