Re: Blanket Wash Questions

>I am working with a client who recently purchased a Heidelberg printing
>press with automated blanket wash cleaning capabilities.  They need to
>find a RCRA non-hazardous (unlisted with a high flash point) substitute
>blanket wash.  It would also be nice to avoid high vapor pressure and
>high VOC content.  Are there any success stories/case studies for using
>alternative blanket wash solutions with automated cleaning systems?  I
>am particularly interested in vegetable-based and terpene-based
>solutions, but any and all environmentally sound solutions are welcome.
>Also, is anyone aware of any studies regarding the performance of
>alternative blanket washes in automated cleaning systems, either
>completed or underway?  Please do not send information on manual
>cleaning; I have plenty of information on that.
>
>Thank you in advance.
>
>Colin Kiefer
>Pollution Prevention Engineer
>GA Pollution Prevention Asst. Div.

Colin,

First, get the following document :

USEPA (1997) EPA Solutions for Lithographic Printers : An Evaluation of
Substitute Blanket Washes. United States Environmental Protection Agency,
Office of Pollution Prevention and Toxics, Design for the Environment
Lithography Project (EPA 744-F-96-009), Washington, DC

Second, look for the SUBSPRINT project in Europe at the following URL :

http://www.rrz.uni-hamburg.de/kooperationsstelle-hh/subsprint/uk/welcome.html

and click on Products/Suppliers.  You will find some vegetable cleaning
agents which can be used in automatic blanket wash cleaning systems on
printing presses.  I believe the product PRIFER 33XX is marketed in the USA.

Hope this helps,

Denis Begin, M.Sc.
Research Assistant
University of Montreal
Department of Occupational and Environmental Health
PO Box 6128, Main Station
Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3C 3J7

514-343-2170
514-343-2200 (fax)