RE: WA Small Business Statistics -Reply

The "Snapshots" photo/printer campaign included visits to 1314 shops: 679
lithography shops, 391 photoprocessing shops, and 244 screen print shops.
Five percent (48) of these shops were revisited a year later, generating the
statistics I sent you.  The "Shopweeps" campaign visited 1700 auto shops; 5%
were revisited for follow-up evaluations.

The visits were designed to take a minimal amount of a facility manager's
time: somewhere around a half hour.  We weren't "inspecting"; we targeted
particular practices, processes, and wastes.  We tried to learn as much as
possible about a sector before  doing the campaign visits: we did a number
of preliminary shop studies, and developed publications based on our
findings.

As for ripple effect: we partner with industry associations, POTWs, local
air and waste programs, and a variety of parties, and I think that helps to
keep the effort alive after we complete our projects. In return, these
parties receive training, resources, and networking with other participants.

We didn't do a comparison with other methods.  A number of years ago,
however, we surveyed businesses to see which outreach methods they
preferred.  Unfortunately, I don't have that data.

We are convinced that this sector approach is a great way to address the
needs of a large number of "small fish" at once.

Judy Kennedy
Washington State Dept. of Ecology (http://www.wa.gov/ecology)
P.O. Box 47600
Olympia, WA  98504-7600