RE: Cremation or burial?

My colleagues and I here in North Carolina gave this some deep thought,
called in our life-cycle assessment expert, and have the following
observations to share with the listserv:

1) "Disposal or other release to the environment" (burial) is at the bottom
of EPA's waste minimization hierarchy.

2) Recycling -- the composting or rendering options -- is higher up on the
hierarchy.

3) Reuse is preferable to recycling. Potentially there could be some energy
efficiency gains if you can find a way to reuse the product (corpse) instead
of recycling and refabricating it. Our reference source here is a book one
of the engineers is reading called "Old Souls:  The Scientific Evidence for
Reincarnation".

4) Reduction is at the top of the hierarchy, of course. We assembled a
subcommittee to look  into tools to prevent death and thereby reduce the
number of corpses produced. However, our life-cycle guy  brought in modeling
results which showed that the "use stage" of the product (an
alive-and-driving human being) generated even bigger environmental impacts
than the disposal stage of the product.

We therefore concluded that the solution to this problem doesn't lie at the
disposal stage. Any of the DfE folks care to design us a human with fewer
impacts throughout its entire life cycle?

Regards,
Melissa Malkin Weber