[Fwd: fwd: P2 Opportunities - Spent X-Ray Developer]

The silver in spent fixer has been a major problem for many wastewater
treatment plants.  Palo Alto, California was one of the first plants in
the country to initiate a program to reduce the discharge of silver from
photo and x-ray processing (these two discharges comprised almost all of
the silver received by the plant).  The primary measures are really
collection/recycling; prevention (via use of non-silver containing
photographic methods) is just starting. The popularity of digital
photographic and printing pre-press methods has accellerated, but
digital technologies have not yet taken hold in the medical field.  Cost
is definitely an issue.  Most wastewater treatment plants with silver
problems have set discharge requirements that effectively prohibit
pouring untreated fixer down the drain--the requirement is what has
motivated on-site silver recovery or off site transport of the waste
fixer.

Some information on how the Palo Alto program works is available under
"commercial, medical" in the "photographic" section of the Palo Alto web
site (http://www.city.palo-alto.ca.us/cleanbay/publications.html).  You
can obtain a packet with the details from Brooke Safford, at
650-329-2495.

Kelly Moran
TDC Environmental
www.tdcenvironmental.com