RE: Spent X-Ray Developer

> Andrea Kreiner <akreiner@state.de.us> asked (in part):
>
	> Do you know of anyone who collects spent developer from processing
x-rays

At the risk of stating the obvious*, it's worth exploring whether the firm
in question also
is responsible for CREATING the x-rays.  If so, it might be worth looking at
electronic
imaging in lieu of film-based x-rays.  This technology is already making
inroads to
dentistry, and I imagine is available for other applications as well.  I
talked with my dentist
recently about this (actually, he talked and I listened - it's hard to do
the talking with
a mouth full of x-ray equipment).  He has used digital x-rays for some time
(he's even more
prevention oriented than most of the subscribers to this list!).  He felt
that the technical
advantages alone justify the investment in equipment.  On his system, the
imaging is done on a standard PC,
which he can wheel over to the patient.  He can show you the x-ray in
real-time, using enhanced color
in order to clearly point out that you do, indeed, have holes in your head
(or at least in your
teeth).  The reduction in lab waste -- 100% reduction -- is an important but
nonetheless secondary
bonus in his opinion.   Additional advantages include simplified archiving
and retrieval of images, ability to do
considerable image enhancement via digital image manipulation, and much
lower x-ray exposures to both
patients and staff.

Worth investigating, at any rate.  Also, since I am in a nitpicky mood
today, remind your customer that most of the silver is
actually present in the spent fixer solution, not the developer per se.  The
role of the developer is
simply to turn the exposed silver halide particles into elemental silver,
whereas the fixer removes the
remaining (unexposed/undeveloped) silver, where it remains in solution.

* Besides, I think we all agree that stating the obvious is an oft-times
very effective P2 strategy.

Scott Butner (rs_butner@pnl.gov)
Pacific NW National Laboratory
4500 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle WA  98105 3900
206-528-3290 voice/206-528-3552 fax
http://www.chemalliance.org/