Re: Cremation or burial? -Reply

My ex hit a deer in a fairly remote area of Michigan last year and totalled
his rental car.  While he was waiting for the cops to come and take the
report, two-legged scavengers showed up to...  Uh...  Dispose of the carcass
(which is illegal).  This may be the p2 solution to disposing of roadkill,
but it wouldn't apply to all species (except maybe in the deep south).

Californians aren't so frugal with their roadside resources.  There's an
area of the 101 Freeway north of San Francisco that is sometimes just
littered with deer carcasses.  I wonder if they wind up being landfilled.

I know that, at least in some areas, licenses to hunt deer wounded by
vehicles are issued, but I never heard of a program for handling fresh
kills.

Back to the orginal cremation vs. burial question:  Isn't burial at sea
another option?   Federal regulations require that a person be buried at sea
no closer than three miles to shore and at a depth of at least 100 fathoms,
or about 600 feet.  The body must be weighted so that it sinks immediately
and permanently.  Seems like this might be an option that is clearly best
for the environment, with minor transportation impacts and the manufacturing
impacts of the weight.  Coffins aren't required.

Kirsten Sinclair Rosselot, P.E.
Process Profiles
P.O. Box 8264
Calabasas, CA 91372-8264