Re: Wood/furniture paint stripper

Robert,

I believe terpene strippers work well.  Unfortunately, they are typically quite flammable.  Water based dibasic esters (particularly dimethyl adipate, dimethyl glutarate, and dimethyl succinate) such as 3M's "Safest Stripper" are typically mentioned as nonflammable alternatives.  I understand they require significantly longer time periods to work but can not be sure of that.  You may also find the following websites helpful:

http://www.parkscorp.com/parkspaint.html
http://jasco-help.com/prodrm.htm
http://www.coatings-solutia.com/docs/TechPUbs/Santosol.htm#Safety
http://www.pprc.org/pprc/rpd/fedfund/epa/epaappcd/evaluat.html

David Herb
Technical Assistance Engineer
Pollution Prevention Section
MDEQ - Environmental Assistance Division
2nd Floor Town Center, 333 S. Capitol
P.O. Box 30457
Lansing, MI 48909-7957

Phone: 517-241-8176
Fax: 517-373-3675
Email: herbdw@state.mi.us

Environmental Assistance Center 1-800-662-9278
Visit the MDEQ-EAD Website at: http://www.deq.state.mi.us/ead/

>>> Robert Lanphear <rlanphear@dtsc.ca.gov> 10/19 2:04 PM >>>
We are searching for what is currently considered the better
wood/furniture paint strippers that do not contain methylene chloride or
e-methyl pyrrolidone (EMP). So far candidates may be Citristrip, Star 10
and Ready Strip. Are these products effective? Are there others that may
be better? Would appreciate all suggestions.

Bob Lanphear
Western Regional P2
Information Clearinghouse
%DTSC/OPPTD