FW to P2TECH: P2 in fermentation plants (reply)

In a recent post to the NPPR list, Graham Noble (gnoble@global.co.za) asked:

	> I would greatly appreciate help in locating work that has been
done on P2 in
	> fermentation plants (like breweries) generating large volumes of
high-COD
	> waste. I would very much like to make contact with anyone who is
working or
	> has worked in this field.

I've taken the liberty of cc'ing the reply to P2TECH because I think the
P2TECH group
will be interested in Graham's question and well equipped to reply; I've
cc'd NPPR because that's
where his original post was directed.

Ironically, for an industry that has long been a focal point for the Zero
Emissions movement, there's
relatively little published about practical P2 tips.  Maybe people get hung
over -- er.....,  hung up -- after the initial site visit???

At any rate, here are some suggestions:

	TNRCC has a checklist of p2 opportunities for microbreweries at the
following site:
	http://twua.org/p2/Tips/Microbreweries.html

	A source worth "mining" is the archive of the IBS-Brewing list
(http://www.ias.unu.edu/proceedings/icibs/ibs/mailinglist/beer96.htm) which
	provides a repository for messages generated during a 1995-96
project of the Zero Emissions Research Institute (ZERI)
	to develop integrated "ecobreweries."  Rather than specific
technical suggestions, this list ought to be a good source of
	relevant contact people, perhaps with some web addresses, and at
least with some e-mail addresses.

	A related document can be found at:
http://www.the-commons.org/zero-ems/z-think-sc.htm

	For a more or less independent, albeit high-gloss/high level view of
some of the ZERI efforts
	at a brewery in Namibia, check out the following article from Fast
Company magazine.

	http://www.fastcompany.com/online/03/gunterp.html

Of course, you should also review the much larger collection of online P2
literature surrounding food & beverage processing in general.
Many of the housekeeping and waste utilization strategies that work
elsewhere in the food industry work with breweries as well.
The North Carolina "P2Pays" web site (www.p2pays.org) is a good starting
point for food & beverage industry documents, particularly
if you can overlook the fact that the documents are mostly in the much
maligned (by me, anyway) .PDF format.  P2GEMS and PPRC also have good
collections
on the topic of food.  You can start at:

http://wrrc.p2pays.org/indsectinfo.asp?INDSECT=36
http://www.p2gems.org/HTMLSrc/I_FoodIndustry.html
http://www.pprc.org/pprc/sbap/food.html

You might also consider contacting my friend & colleague, Ernie Lowe
(http://www.indigodev.com/)
who has done some work on eco-industrial parks in your part of the world
(South Africa).  Since breweries seem to
consistently arise in the context of ecoindustrial park development, I'd
be surprised if he couldn't provide you with additional, perhaps even
unpublished, insights.

Hope this helps,
Scott Butner (butner@battelle.org)
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory