Re: Recycling Of Grinding Swarf

Julie,

If the swarf does not contain free-flowing liquid, it may qualify as scrap metal.  In Ohio, scrap metal that is recycled is not subject to Ohio's hazardous waste requirements.   The spent metalcutting fluid containing the metal trimmings may meet the definition of used oil.   As such, the used oil may be managed under the Part 279 (or state equivalent) used oil regulations, provided it is recycled.

It is my understanding that  it is more cost-effective to dispose of swarf in a landfill and that recycling opportunities and technologies for this material are limited.   I am aware of one company, Phoenix Environmental, Ltd.,  (no endorsement) that has a process that uses swarf as feedstock in the manufacture of magnetite products.   Magnetite is used in the manufacture of copy toner, paint, and other materials.   For details, contact:

Jeff Cheetham, General Manager
158 Tebbs Rd.
Montgomery, PA 17752
Phone: 570-547-2412 or 800-297-2412
Fax: 570-547-2479
E-mail: cntbem@aol.com

Art L. Coleman, Jr., Ohio EPA
Lazarus Government Center
122 South Front Street
Columbus, Ohio 43215
Division of Hazardous Waste Management,
Technical Support Unit
Send Mail To:
Ohio EPA
P.O. Box 1049
Columbus, Ohio 43216-1049
art.coleman@epa.state.oh.us
http://www.epa.ohio.gov
http://pages.prodigy.net/lfairban/artcole.htm
(my bookmark "homepage"---> links on mercury,
mercury lamps/devices, computer and computer
equipment, dry-cell batteries, appliances, etc.)

                            IIIIIII
                             _  _
                         (   O O  )
             [___   OHIO  EPA   ___]