Re: Polypropylene LCA & Stonyfield Farms

Tim,
Andrea is right that Stonyfield Farm was featured in the Waste
Management EPA broadcast a year or so ago. I, unfortunately,
question the wisdom of what they did.

I first came aware of them when I lived in New Hampshire. They
have excellent yogurt. However, I bought their product specifically
(after the taste) because they packaged their product in a no. 2
recyclable package as opposed to the no. 6 plastic of most yogurt
manufacturers.

In the film I believed that they switched from 2 to 6 because it took
less material to make the 6's but they are basically no longer
recyclable!!!!!!!!! So now we end up with a huge pile of yogurt cups
in landfills from not only them but everyone else. I still question the
results of this study.

I now buy my yogurt in no. 2 containers from an organic farm that
produces the yogurt (with no sugar, finally) in Wisconsin.

Kirsten