Re: Polypropylene LCA & Stonyfield Farms

I, too, questioned Stonyfield Frams on why they made the choice that they did.
In the course of that inquiry (sometime last year), I learned that my county  --
Fairfax County, Virginia -- will not recycle #1 or #2 plastic for yoghurt
containes and margarine containers, even if a resident puts them in the curbside
recycling bins.  The county actually pays a contractor to take them out of the
recycling stream.  The impression they gave me is that they are not alone -- I
think I was told the grade of plastic used in yoghurt and margarine containers
is weaker than that used in milk jugs and laundry bottles, and that recyclers
don't want it.  Wouldn't it be nice to find a way out of this dilemma?

Kathy Davey
202-260-2290
U.S. E.P.A.

kkoepsel@arrirs04.uta.edu on 10/27/99 03:27:27 PM