[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
RE: Oil filter disposal
I am forwarding a response for Christine from one of my colleagues, Merrit
Drucker. Hope the information helps!
SAIC MS R-4-3
11251 Roger Bacon Dr.
Reston VA 20190-5232
I would suggest the following:
1. Contact your State environmental regulators and your EPA region and get
their opinion. My understanding is that crushing will render the filters
nonhazardous and will permit you to recycle them as scrap metal. I would
strongly recommend recycling of the filters rather than disposal as MSW.
2. Contact the Filter Manufacturer's Council Hotline at 1 800 993 4583.
They can provide you information on State regulations and vendors in your
area who can take the filters.
Their web site is: www.filtercouncil.org
3. Visit the nearest Army National Guard Facility to see how they are
4. Unless your State specifically requires physical disassembly of the
filters, I would avoid this practice, unless you have a very large fleet. I
would shop around your area for a vendor who will take them at a low cost.
5. One alternative would be to puncture and hot drain for 24 hours, and
then send them out uncrushed. Some vendors like them uncrushed so they can
6. As a P2 option, you may want to look at reusable oil filters.
Good luck with your project.
Juna Z. Snow
IL. Waste Management
& Research Center