Re: Oil filter disposal

Reusable filters are a way to avoid the issue altogether. They are installed
just like a regular filter, come in sizes ranging from passenger vehicles to
large trucks, and can last the lifetime of the vehicle. They can be cleaned with
a parts washer (some vendors sell washers specifically for the filters), and
don't require draining, crushing, etc.  EPA Region 9 has compiled a fact sheet
on how to convert to reusable filters, including cost information,
implementation issues, and case studies of fleets that have installed them.

FYI - this fact sheet will be available  in about three weeks as part of the
Pollution Prevention Toolkit: Best Environmental Practices for Fleet Maintenance
, which also contains fact sheets and a video on converting to aqueous cleaning
and aqueous brake cleaning, oil life extension through oil testing, switching to
refillable spray bottles, spill prevention and floor clean-up, and oil water
separator maintenance. Check our website in To order, call 1-800-490-9198, and
ask for publication number EPA 909-E-99-002  for the fact sheets, and EPA
909-V-99-002 for the video. DON'T CALL UNTIL DECEMBER 1, AS THE PUBLICATIONS ARE
CURRENTLY BEING DUPLICATED.

cedmons@ibm.net on 11/12/99 08:59:48 AM

Please respond to cedmons@ibm.net