RE: Copper Chloride solution

Lin,

I'm guessing this is a ferric chloride solution that has been used to etch
copper. Here in southern California, a few companies were offering a
recycling service. They would charge a small fee to take the waste and
regenerate it. Their big profit was in copper recovery.

Since you've stated that each drum contains 100 pounds of copper, there is a
big incentive to recover the metal. At $1 per pound, there's $3,000 sitting
in those drums. You could probably get it out with a simple power supply and
some carbon steel electrodes.  The copper will plate out and the iron will
dissolve, yielding a ferric chloride solution.  Ferric chloride solution is
used in waste water treatment and circuit board etching.

Talk to a few electroplaters in your area and they should have lots of info
on how to recover any metal of value. Hope this helps.

Mike.callahan@jacobs.com