SME FINANCING FOR ENVIRONMENTAL AND ENERGY IMPROVEMENTS

Dear Colleagues

We are writing a paper on options for improving the access to financing =
for cleaner production and energy conservation by Small and Medium =
Enterprises (SMEs).  The paper is sponsored by the Asian Development =
Bank. =20

We want to know who else has studied the success of programs to help =
SMEs get financing for improved technologies.  There are many programs =
that provide such financing.  We hope to find some papers or analyses =
about how well they work and what lessons can be learned.  This applies =
to financing for energy conservation as well as cleaner production and =
pollution prevention.

>From people who now manage programs that provide technology financing =
for SMEs, whether by government or non-profit or commercial sector, we =
are looking for evaluations or analysis of your program's success and =

recommendations for other programs with similar goals.

>From academics and policy analysts, we are looking for any studies that =
compare the results of various financing efforts and make =
recommendations.

>From anyone!  What do you recommend to development organizations about =
the right systems for improving the access of SMEs in developing =
countries to financing (of any kind) for cleaner production or energy =
conservation technology?  We welcome good quotes!

We already have an extensive collection of reference material about =
various financing programs, and good books and publications about =
financing environmental protection.  But we are short on PROGAM =
EVALUATIONS in particular.

Of course any assistance provided will be cited.  We will be making the =
paper available over the internet next year, along with presentation =
materials, and will create a website for it that includes a discussion =
board, bibliography and Interested Persons database.  If you would like =
your efforts to help SMEs with financing to be better known, please =
contact us.

The project will include case studies of two Asian countries that now =
make some efforts to provide special financing to SMEs for cleaner =
production and energy conservation.  Any references or studies relevant =
to Asia are especially welcome.

Please forward this message to anyone you think might be interested, we =
promise to respond to all!  Thanks very much.

PLEASE RESPOND TO:

BHAMNER@HOME.COM

DO NOT REPLY TO YOUR LISTSERV, IF THAT IS HOW YOU RECEIVED THIS MESSAGE! =
WE WILL POST A=20
MESSAGE TO ALL WHEN THE WEBSITE WITH RESULTS IS READY.
Burton Hamner
Hamner & Associates LLC/ CleanerProduction.Com
5534 30th Avenue NE
Seattle, WA USA 98105
tel:  206-526-5308
fax: 208-279-4991