RE: EH&S in Capital Projects

Joann Cortese (CORTESE@sartomer.com) asks (in part) --

	> Does anyone know a rule of thumb when allocating the cost of a new
piece of
	> process equipment or other auxiliary equipment that also may have
process
	> safeguards and environmental benefits?

Joann --

I don't have all the figures at hand, but Kestrel Management Consulting
(with other partners) did some work on this issue for the Synthetic Organic
Chemical Manufacturers Association (SOCMA) within the last year or two
(under the banner of "Project Real Cost").  Either Kestrel or SOCMA might be
willing to share some of the results.  I have a contact for SOCMA, who we at
ChemAlliance work closely with.  Contact is provided below.

Incidentally, Pennsylvania DEP has a copy of some viewgraphs regarding this
project on their web site, starting at:

http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/deputate/pollprev/Tech_Assistance/ltconf/wibl
e/sld009.htm

and continuing on for several slides.   The figure quoted within is:

		"Capital Spending for EHS Ranged from 5-30% and Averaged 21%
of Total Annual Capital Spending"

			from: "Learning together: Environmental Management
Systems, Environmental Performance and Regulatory Innovation"
			July 22-23 Wyndham Hotel, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
			Multi-State Working Group on Environmental
Management Systems & USEPA - 1999 Workshop

You might also consider sending your request to the ChemAlliance Regulatory
Discussion List, described at:
(Environmental Division of AICHE) list at: aiche-env@lyris.pnl.gov.   If
you're not already a subscriber, you'll be sent instructions on how to
subscribe when you send any message to this list.

	SOCMA CONTACT:
	Mike Heyl (mike.heyl@socma.com)
	Manager, Legislative Affairs
	202-721-4197
	Synthetic Organic Chemical Manufacturers Organization (SOCMA)
	1850 M. Street
	Suite 700
	Washington, D.C.  20036

Hope this helps