Re: Ceramic Tile in roadbase or hot mix

Brian,

I had a Texas consulting client that had damaged
fired tile.  They were in the process of reducing
the heavy metals in the colors, but had not
completed that process at the time of my work with
them.  However, fired tile from before the metals
reduction would still pass the TCLP (and the TX
test then in use) if left in fairly intact form,
that is not ground to a powder state, but in
pieces that you could pick up with your fingers,
say the size of a dime or larger.  That is because
the metals are bound in a glass-like matrix that
does not leach at rates of concern under typical
environmental conditions, similar to leaded
crystal, but of much lower concentration.  The
total metals numbers were not that high, because
most of the tile is fired clay base and other
glaze constituents that are not of environmental
concern.  The leachable numbers were very low.

If it is not used for road base, my guess is that
it gets disposed in a Class III or Class II
landfill, so that reuse in a road base seems like
good environmental management.

Ralph

Ralph E. Cooper, Ph.D., J.D.
14139 Woodstream