Fwd: Re: Ceramic Tile in roadbase or hot mix

You need to make sure that the glazes used on these tiles are not
radioactive.  Some of the pottery glazes from your region would knock a
dial off a geiger counter.  Most solid waste handlers have radioactivity
dectors at their transfer stations and landfills.  They are always going
off and the search begins for the "culprit."  You might try to head this
one off at the pass - so to speak.

Bob Pojasek

>From: "Ralph Cooper" <cooperre@flash.net>
>To: "Brian Noble" <BNOBLE@tnrcc.state.tx.us>,
>        "'P2 Tech'" <p2tech@great-lakes.net>
>Subject: Re: Ceramic Tile in roadbase or hot mix
>Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 17:36:23 -0600
>Sender: owner-p2tech@great-lakes.net
>
>Brian,
>
>I had a Texas consulting client that had damaged
>fired tile.  They were in the process of reducing
>the heavy metals in the colors, but had not
>completed that process at the time of my work with
>them.  However, fired tile from before the metals
>reduction would still pass the TCLP (and the TX
>test then in use) if left in fairly intact form,
>that is not ground to a powder state, but in
>pieces that you could pick up with your fingers,
>say the size of a dime or larger.  That is because
>the metals are bound in a glass-like matrix that
>does not leach at rates of concern under typical
>environmental conditions, similar to leaded
>crystal, but of much lower concentration.  The
>total metals numbers were not that high, because
>most of the tile is fired clay base and other
>glaze constituents that are not of environmental
>concern.  The leachable numbers were very low.
>
>If it is not used for road base, my guess is that
>it gets disposed in a Class III or Class II
>landfill, so that reuse in a road base seems like
>good environmental management.
>
>Ralph

Bob

Dr. Robert B. Pojasek