Ethidium Bromide- treatment and disposal questions

For those of you who have worked with ethidium bromide (a mutagen), how are
you disposing of it?  For the liquid waste, I have seen carbon absorption
work well.  This allows the liquid to be discharged to the sanitary sewer
and the carbon is hazardous.  I have seen it used in filters, tea bags and
just in the granular form.  I am very interested in the treatment of this
liquid waste with hypochlorite (bleach).  Some sources say it is safe and
will destroy the ethidium bromide.  Others specifically warn against using
bleach.

I'm looking for the most current information on how you are disposing of
ethidium bromide, both liquid waste and gel waste.  Any info
supporting/opposing the use of bleach would be helpful.
Thanks,

Lori Cunniff
Environmental Services Division
Brookhaven National Lab