Re: metal finishing question

Catherine--
While I was working for the city of Palo Alto's wastewater program we
did a lot of work with metal finishers.  A couple of smaller shops
(perhaps a bit smaller than the shop you described) chose to go to zero
discharge because it was so much cheaper for them to get out of the
regulatory loop.  Information on the projects they implemented is at
http://www.city.palo-alto.ca.us/cleanbay/publications.html (look under
industry).  You may find the "reasonable control measures" information
prepared by consultant Tom Barron to be especially valuable.

Typically, we found that eliminating sewer discharge worked if a three
step process was implmented:
(1) reduce wastewater flows by using techniques like counter-current and
spray rinsing that reduce the need for fresh water.  If they aren't
doing this now, they could easily see a 50% or greater flow reduction
without changing their existing tank configuration.
(2) reduce the facility's waste of plating chemicals (which keeps these
chemicals out of the wastewater, reduces need for fresh water for
rinsing, and reduces treatment costs) through techniques such as use of
drag-out tanks or drain boards
(3) treat remaining (much smaller) flow for re-use.  In most cases, it
was significantly cheaper for the firm to remove some small amount of
residual for off-site metals recycling or disposal as hazardous waste
than it was to eliminate all releases.

In case you don't think this is possible, I should tell you that one
shop we were all sure was going to go out of business went to a local
hardware store and reconfigured its plating operation using off the
shelf items (e.g., garden hoses with spray nozzles for spray rinses) and
went to zero discharge.  We were very impressed--and they are still in
business, several years later.

Kelly Moran
TDC Environmental
www.tdcenvironmental.com