re:Dioxins Pollution Prevention

>>Sender: owner-p2tech@great-lakes.net

>>Is anyone aware of any government agencies that have implemented a
>>dioxins pollution prevention program, or any single dioxins pollution
>>prevention measures?  I am seeking to identify examples to support a
>>nascent joint dioxins pollution prevention effort of several San
>>Francisco Bay area cities and counties in affiliation with the
>>Association of Bay Area Governments.  The only examples of past efforts
>>that I know about are at the Western Lake Superior Sanitary District
>>(Duluth) and the City of Palo Alto.
>>
>>Thank you.
>>
>>Kelly Moran
>>TDC Environmental

Hi Kelly,

Work on PVC alternatives have been underway since 1998 by Stephen Mccarthy
<stephen_mccarthy@uml.edu> here at the University Polymer Sciences
Department. McCarthy's work was funded under the Massachusetts Strategic
Environmental Partnership.

The Lowell Center for Sustainable Production has a large project to work on
PVC alternatives in hospitals.

There are no particular dioxin purchasing policies that we know of. A
colleague tells me that the Govt. Purchasing Project tried to institute
some procurement
procedures at the national level (Cl free paper) - the person who led
that is Alicia Culver who is now at INFORM.

A good person to talk to is Joel Tickner <joel_tickner@student.uml.edu>, a
doctoral student in policy and cleaner production.

I hope this is a bit helpful!

Janet Clark <clarkjan@turi.org>
Associate Director for Information
MA Toxics Use Reduction Institute