Re: metal finishing question

Catherine:
Phosphating and chromating are two very general
categories of conversion coating.  Within each
there are operating conditions and applications
that are better and worse for achieving a goal of
zero (water) discharge.  My first stop would be to
evaluate the process solutions for their tolerance
to return of rinsate, as well as the inevitable
build-up of contaminants from dissolution of parts
being processed, like aluminum and iron.  Then I
would assure that all incoming sources of
contaminants, like cleaners, acids and tap water
have been controlled.  Once the solutions are
optimized in this way (and it may require
switching solutions) they can start some very
simple, low-cost things like rinsing over heated
process solutions or making the first rinse a
still rinse (probably phosphate; maybe not for
chromate).

The big problem will be that while it may be
possible to make the needed adjustments to keep
rinse water out of the sewer, eventually these
process solutions will require disposal.  Many
small shops just "trickle" them slowly to the
sewer, with a hose running nearbly for dilution.
If this is indeed the "waste management method" at
the shop you are describing, you are back where
you started.  If, however, they are already used

to drumming and shipping concentrated processs
solutions for off-site waste management,  you have
at least theoretically helped the POTW (Karl
DeWahl's analysis duly noted).  I seriously doubt
whether all these machinations are really worth
the effort, though.  These solutions are not very
expensive compared to the hassle and expense of
rejects caused by a questionable process solution,
and most operators can easily subvert this set-up
in the interest of running things the way they see
fit.  I have heard of one jurisdiction going so
far as to seal drains to assure zero water
discharge, though.