Reply to Question

***WELCOME TO THE P2 LISTSERVER****

One use for selenium was in the plates of old rectifier systems that
converted alternating current to direct current.  The military had a number
of systems that used this old technology.  Battery chargers, some of the
old radar equipment, electroplating rectifiers, telephone system batter
chargers.  These were all quite large systems and contained a pretty
healthy dose of selenium.  Disposal of these items was not closely
controlled until the 1980s.
Selenium is a heavy metal and as such solubility is fairly low so if a
number of items were improperly disposed of as late as the 60s they could
still be leaching.  As to where they might have been dumped, try storm
sewers or sanatary sewer areas in and around the above noted areas.
good luck
Jack T. Ward P.E.
Manager, Waste Minimization Program,
Texas Railroad Commission

>>> "Raul E. Gonzalez" <raulg@utep.edu> 01/28/00 02:30PM >>>
****WELCOME TO THE P2 LISTSERVER****
Hi all,

I have a colleague who is looking for clues as to potential sources of
elevated selenium levels in a military base sewer system.  There are
apparently minimal industrial sources, i.e. no electroplating or coal
firing.  The base is host to a large housing complex... any potential
residential sources?

Thanks in advance, I know there will be some good suggestions offered.

-Jeff Cantin

 ______ _____   _____
Eastern Research Group 		www.erg.com
| |____| | \ \| |__| | 		110 Hartwell Ave.
|______|_|  \_\\_____| 		Lexington, MA 02424-3136
                                jcantin@erg.com
                                jcantin@tiac.net

---
You are currently subscribed to p2r6 as: jack.ward@rrc.state.tx.us

---
You are currently subscribed to p2r6 as: [raulg@utep.edu]

Raul Eddie Gonzalez
Program Manager
Southwest Pollution Prevention Center--Region VI
Institute for Manufacturing and Materials Management-UTEP
500 W. University
El Paso, TX  79968
Tel (915) 747-6273