RE: fees & p2

My experience is that in many cases disposal costs (the costs of having a
qualified waste handler correctly handle and "dispose of" waste) are not
sufficient in their own right to justify a P2 project.  This is the problem
with most evaluations.  If you don't take into consideration, in addition to
disposal costs, the cost of manpower in handling the waste (cost of
containerizing waste, moving waste, storage of waste, and of shipping
waste), the cost of reduced raw materials (more material going to product
and not waste), and the reduced manpower from handling less raw material
(purchasing, receiving, and process) then you have underestimated the true
savings.  In addition, utility costs can also be a factor in cost savings.
Consider them all.

I once was told that if an employee did not convince management of the need
to do a project then it was that employee's fault management didn't approve
the resources.  Although this is a simplistic argument, basically it is our
responsibility to put together the whole story (all savings and benefits) so
that management (and others unfamiliar with details) have all the
information they need to make logical business and technical decisions.
Sometimes, for real and political reasons, the decision will still not be in
"our favor" but at least we have done our job.

Dale Francke
Pratt & Whitney   M/S 717-03
P.O. Box 109600
West Palm Beach,  FL  33410-9600

frncked@pwfl.com
561.796.3733 (w)      561.796.2787 (fax)
P2 Website for Palm Beach County P2 Coalition: P2.ces.fau.edu