From: wjw5@psu.edu [mailto:wjw5@psu.edu]	Sent: Friday, February 11,
2000 9:24 AM
To: envgroup-list@mep.nist.gov; p2tech@great-lakes.net
Subject: Any Suggestions for a Client?

Hi Gang-

Hope things are well with you.

Have a client that needs help with recycling waste materials that have been
coated in their manufacturing process. Here's the specifics: They
manufacture coated paper, fabric, plastics and laminate substrates,
including fiberglass mat. They coat each of these types of materials for use
with military and commercial capacitors and as electrical insulation
for hi voltage applications. The coating gives the substrate a very high
dielectric specifically for this purpose. They are looking for some ideas
for recycling their waste materials from their manufacturing processes. I
need help with suggestions on where they might go to find a recycling
application. They generate 275 tons of waste annually. By category,
Resin on paper - 8 tons
Resin on fabric - 10 tons
Black electrical tape - 3 tons
Diamond pattern paper - 157 tons
Laminates - 97 tons.

We've investigated various ways for them to reduce their scrap, but there
don't seem to be many opportunities. The majority is edge trim and trim from
sheeting to size. They cut from rolls of specific widths to custom sheet
sizes meaning that waste is high or low based on the relationship of the
sheet size to the roll width. The main motivation is recycling which would
take the waste out of the landfill.

I have material safety data sheets on some of the products and can give you
more specifics if you know of possible outlets. Any connections or
suggestions would be appreciated. The firm is located in Pennsylvania.

Any help would be appreciated.

Warren

wjw5@psu.edu

Warren J. Weaver	PENNTAP	PO Box 5046	York, PA 17405
Certified ISO 14000 Auditor (#E051734)	fax 717-854-0087
ph 717-848-6669	PENNTAP website:	           www.penntap.psu.edu

<>
<>
<> The GreenWorks Gazette is coming!     www.GreenWorksChannel.org