From: Moulton, Peter T
<Peter.T.Moulton@state.me.us>
To: p2tech@great-lakes.net
<p2tech@great-lakes.net>;
Tee_Little@envircon.state.ak.us
<Tee_Little@envircon.state.ak.us>
Cc: Moulton, Peter T <Peter.T.Moulton@state.me.us>
Date: Monday, February 14, 2000 4:01 PM
Subject: RE: Household hazardous waste collections

>Here is information for setting up a Household
Hazardous Waste Collection
> DAY, but not a permanent facility.  You can go
to the websites mentioned
>for more information.
>
>Book Review
>Lessons Learned from Four Years of Household
Hazardous Waste
>Collections: 1995-1998
>Androscoggin Valley Council of Governments
(AVCOG), Auburn, Maine
>February 1999, 45 pages, free
>
> This is an extremely valuable and informative
book for any town or
>organization wishing to organize a household
hazardous waste (HHW)
>collection.  The reason it will answer almost any
question you might have
>is probably because AVCOG not only has lots of
experience running HHW
>collections, but has lots of experience helping
other towns and
>organizations organize their  FIRST  HHW
collection.

> The authors give a quick, but very detailed
account of the HHW
>collections conducted for the twin Maine cities
of Lewiston and Auburn
>(combined population: 64,000) and 24 surrounding
towns.  The HHW
>collections consist of homeowners packaging the
waste for a safe ride in
>the family car, transporting it to a central
point, and giving it to the
>hazardous waste hauler (who already knows what
the waste is because
>everybody has been pre-registered over the phone
and given an appointment
>time to be at the collection point).  Some of the
helpful hints you will
>receive are the fact some people will bring latex
paints no matter how
>many times you tell them not to (so have town
employees or volunteers
>accept the latex paint before it gets to the
expensive hazardous waste
>hauler you have contracted to accept the wastes)
and the fact people who
>bring in old gasoline from lawnmowers and
outboard motors want their
>containers back.  About the only thing they
missed was the fact you
>should allow 15 minutes for each car, and you
will pick this up when you
>read the request for proposal contained in
Appendix A.

> At 15 pages long, the request for proposal (RFP)
is actually longer than
>the main text of the book.  However, it is
clearer and easier to read
>than the average RFP.  In my private sector days
my company, and others,
>judged the quality of a specification by how
closely packed the bids were
>in the race to be lowest.  By this measure, the
AVCOG RFP was very good
>indeed.  Four out of the five bids submitted were
between $18 and $19 per
>"unit".  (A "unit" is a five gallon pail.)  Such
tightness of bids show
>the contractors knew what they were bidding on
and had few questions.
> This, of course, leads to less questions and
quarrels over costs as the
>collection occurs.
>
>AVCOG website is   http://www.avcog.org/
>
>AVCOG is a regional agency serving municipalities
in Androscoggin,
>Franklin and Oxford counties.  Operating funds
are primarily from member
>dues, grants and loan payments.  The HHW
collection and book was funded
>primarily by the USDA, Rural Development and
local dues.
>Peter Moulton is the
default-telephone-call-receiver for HHW questions
at
>the State of Maine DEP.
>source: spmhhw03.doc
>
> Please do not contact AVCOG for the book.  (They
are out of copies.)
> Contact me instead.
>Peter T. Moulton
>Division of Technical Services, Bureau of
Remediation
>State of Maine Department of Environmental
Protection
>State House Station #17
>Augusta, ME  04333
>tel. 207-287-8161   Fax. 207-287-7826
>Peter.T.Moulton@state.me.us
>case (upper or lower) does not matter on email
address

> ----------

Tee_Little@envircon.state.ak.us[SMTP:Tee_Little@en
vircon.state.ak.us]
>Sent:  Monday, February 14, 2000 1:47 PM
>To:  p2tech@great-lakes.net
>Subject:  Household hazardous waste collections
>
>Does anyone know of a document and/or website
that shows  information on
>setting up a HHW collection facility at a
landfill.  Is there any
>information out there that is a step by step
process of doing this.  Tips
>for setting up, operation efficiency, recycling,
etc. would be helpful,
>both
>now for a proposal and later for the
implementation. Would be