Fwd: P2 Plan Tech. Assistance

Kirk,

Most of my work involves facilitating the development of P2 Plans in cases
where there has been an SEP or Citizens Suit.  I facilitate the development
of the P2 Plan and then AUDIT the implementation of that plan for 3 to 5
years.  I have performed more than 75 of these projects in the past 10
years.  Lately I have been involved in the same type of programs involving
odor complaints in the West by preparing plans to eliminate the odor at the
source.  I can send Neil copies of plans that I have facilitated.  I am
using the problem-solving and decision-making tools that will be featured
in the new EPA Facility Pollution Prevention Guide that will be soon going
out to peer review.  I would be pleased  to help Neil.  While Ms. Dorsey
helped develop the plans, she may have not been privy to the lessons
learned of 3 to 5 years of implementation.  It is in the "lessons learned"
that one REALLY learns what works and what does not work.

BOB Pojasek

>Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 10:47:33 -0700
>From: "KIRK M Mills" <KMMILLS@smtpgate.dphe.state.co.us>
>To: <p2tech@great-lakes.net>
>Subject: P2 Plan Tech. Assistance
>Sender: owner-p2tech@great-lakes.net
>

>The following message is forwarded from Neil Kolwey, who is on sabbatical
from the Colorado P2 Program to get a Master's in Cleaner Production at
Lund University in Sweden. You can send your answers to me and I will
forward them to Neil. Neil writes:

>Dear P2techers:
>Which states or programs have any experience and results with approaches to
>technical assistance involving facilitation of P2 plan development over a
>period of time such as 6 months? (not just helping a company write a plan
>without involving managers and operations people within the company) For
>example, we funded a project in Colorado in which a consultant (the Brendle
>Company - Judy Dorsey) helped 5 small or medium-size companies to develop
>their own P2 plans (on a voluntary basis since we have no P2 plan
>requirement in CO), by involving the key employees and managers, over a
>period of about 6 months. By results, I mean results of projects implemented
>by the companies, and in addition indicators of long-term change such as
>whether the companies developed and used metrics for wastes and costs.
>
>I would like to write a paper for my Master's program, comparing this type
>of facilitation approach and longer-term involvement, with the more
>traditional quick P2 assessment approach. Any information would be greatly
>appreciated. Your reward will be the great fame which comes with being
cited as a reference in an academic paper.

>Thank you for any help,
>
>Neil Kolwey
>neil.kolwey.230@student.lu.se
>
>Kirk Mills